weft [ weft ] noun singular
the fibers that lie across a piece of cloth when it is woven. The fibers that run down the cloth are called the warp.

Usage of the words and phrases in modern English. 2013.


Look at other dictionaries:

  • Weft — Weft, n. [Cf. {Waif}.] A thing waved, waived, or cast away; a waif. [Obs.] A forlorn weft. Spenser. [1913 Webster] …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • Weft — Weft, n. [AS. weft, wefta, fr. wefan, to weave. See {Weave}.] [1913 Webster] 1. The woof of cloth; the threads that cross the warp from selvage to selvage; the thread carried by the shuttle in weaving. [1913 Webster] 2. A web; a thing woven.… …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • weft — [weft] n [: Old English;] the weft technical the threads in a piece of cloth that are woven across the threads that go from top to bottom = ↑woof →↑warp …   Dictionary of contemporary English

  • Weft — Weft, obs. imp. & p. p. of {Wave}. [1913 Webster] …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • Weft — das; [e]s, e <aus gleichbed. engl. weft zu altengl. wefan »weben«> Schussgarn aus harter engl. Cheviotwolle (vgl. ↑Cheviot) …   Das große Fremdwörterbuch

  • weft — O.E. weft, wefta, from wefan to weave (see WEAVE (Cf. weave)) …   Etymology dictionary

  • weft — [weft] n. [ME < OE < base of wefan, to WEAVE] the yarns carried by the shuttle back and forth across the warp in weaving; woof; filling …   English World dictionary

  • Weft — Weft, baumwollenes Einschlaggarn …   Pierer's Universal-Lexikon

  • Weft — (engl.), Einschlaggarn; auch harte Kammgarne …   Kleines Konversations-Lexikon

  • weft — /weft/, n. 1. Textiles. filling (def. 5). 2. a woven fabric or garment. [bef. 900; ME, OE; akin to WEAVE] * * * …   Universalium

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.